Thursday, January 10, 2013

Mushroom Sauce



I like this sauce for a lot of things. For a base for beef stroganoff, on my mashed taters, all over my steak...there are a lot of options. It was an easy conversion to make this one dairy free. Keep in mind if you want a thicker sauce, then use more of the slurry. If you aren't gluten free, you can also use Wondra gravy powder to thicken it up instead. If we pan fry steaks in the house, I like to sear them in a cast iron pan then finish them off in the oven. After they come out, while they are resting, I like to use the meat drippings in my sauce, so I make the sauce right in the cast iron, while the steaks smile at me from a plate.


The Goods: 

  • 1/2 onion, finely chopped 
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced 
  • 4 TBSP butter (split into 2&2). I use Earth Balance dairy free butter 
  • 2 TBSP balsamic vinegar 
  • 3 TBSP white wine 
  • 3 cups of mushrooms, sliced or chopped (personal preference) 
  • 1/2 cup soy milk 
  • Salt and pepper to season


 Slurry:

  • 1 TBSP cornstarch 
  • 1 TBSP water  


What to do:
Place 2 TBSP of butter in the pan to melt, over medium heat, then add onions. Sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and mushrooms. Add another 2 TBSP of butter to the pan on top of the mushrooms, add salt and pepper. Sauté until the mushrooms are soft and dark, stirring often. When the mushrooms are done, add the wine and balsamic, cooking for another 3-5 minute to cook off the wine, which will help deglaze yummy meat bits from the pan. Add the soy milk, and then half the slurry. Bring to a boil to let the slurry thicken. If you like a thicker sauce, continue to add slurry mix and stir, letting it bubble/boil to thicken. After it is the right thickness, cook while stirring for another 2-3 minutes to cook out the cornstarch flavor.

I hope you find this as yummy as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment