Thursday, January 10, 2013

Enchilada Filling and Casserole


The Goods:

1 1/2 cups chopped red onion ( or  yellow, I use what I have on hand) 
2 jalapeño chile peppers, seeded and chopped 
1 16oz can refried beans 
1 cup enchilada sauce (I prefer red)   **buy 2 8-10oz cans of sauce if making the casserole and save out  1 cup for this step**
1 envelope taco seasoning mix 
2 cups shredded or chopped cooked meat(chicken or pork) 
1 cup green onions 
2 TBSP olive oil 
Green and/red peppers optional 


What to do:
 In a skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and cook until it is translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add peppers and green onions to the pan, cooking an additional 3-4 minutes. Add the meat, refried beans, taco seasoning and enchilada sauce, stirring to mix well until heated through, about 5 minutes.


I like this as a filler for enchiladas (no cheese) using white corn tortillas or soft corn shells.  I also use this to make a yummy casserole.

Casserole:
Make the filling as above and set aside.  Use 1 box of gluten free pasta ( like the Ancient Harvest quinoa and corn pasta shells that I find in the organic section at my local grocery).
dAncient Harvest Pasta Shells Gluten Free

Cook the pasta shells according the box and drain.  Mix with the enchilada filling.   In a glass baking dish, coat the bottom with some enchilada sauce.  Place the mixture in the pan, then cover with all of the remaining sauce.  Bake covered with foil in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
Upon serving, I use some taco sauce on the top, some crushed corn chips and a dab of dairy free sour cream to mix in.
You could use dairy free cheese in here, if trying to keep truer to the original, however my family likes it better without. I kind of do too, I am not used to the texture of dairy free cheese. 

Original Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens Click Here


No comments:

Post a Comment